Sunday, October 23, 2005

Loving kindness - Part 2: How to do it


1. An anecdote
Fuchsy has provided a wonderfully clear explanation of what effect the Metta-Bhavana practice can have on our emotional lives. May I echo her comments with what I believe is a typical experience of how our emotions are shown to be merely habits. This happened to Jane, a friend of mine, while on holiday on Croatia and has happened to me several times in the past. She was thoroughly enjoying her holiday, and all the novel aspects of visiting a new culture for the first time, when she and her partner got chatting to some english people in the hotel. From initial conversations of 'how nice', in no time at all they started to moan about the service and the facilities. Over a few days this escalated to outbursts of complaint. Jane's holiday had gone from being idyllic to being one of discontent. If she hadnt met the others she would have had a completely different holiday. For this reason I tend to make friends with the 'natives' when on holiday as they accept what is there as their life and will look to enjoy the good things that abound.

2. How to do the Metta Bhavana practice.
Take up your usual medititation posture and bring your mind to rest by following the breath for a while or whatever other method you use. Consider the benefits of cultivating loving-kindness as mentioned in Fuchsy's post; how it will change your outlook and that of others. Then think of the people in your life. It may be helpful to think first of those whom you know by name. Bring each one in turn fully into your mind and voice the thought, "May (name) be well and know peace." You can do this aloud or silently. Repeat this for each person, again bringing them fully into your mind.
Then expand these well wishes to cover those beings who you do not know individually. For example, people of your workplace, nation, continent or you may choose to accentuate some characteristic such as world leaders, poeple affected by disasters, people in conflict etc. You can include all sentient beings, animals, insects, dwellers elsewhere in the universe etc. It is also important to include people that you are indifferent to or people that you do not like.
As Fuchsy says, the list must include yourself. When you think of yourself you can think more deeply about what effect you would like this practice to have on your behaviour, as you know yourself better than you do others.
When you have completed the practice, you may wish to dedicate its energy and intention to ensure its effect is not dissipated. I use a phrase such as " May the fruits of this meditation benefit all sentient beings."
You may have concluding verses or chants of your own that offer thanks and dedication .

May all who read this be well and know peace.

1 comment:

fuchsy said...

thank Bruv for your addition, to mine .Sadly I didn't write it myself as I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to put it so well!!! but it came from something I read!

none the less it is a great practice , and when I really engage with it I connect so much better with both myself and others!

Must do more of it!