Sunday, November 20, 2005

Self-help / Discussion Group



Dear everyone who reads this,
How do you feel about joining a discussion on a particular topic of concern? I know this can happen informally anyway here but it might be helpful for you to propose a topic that is of particular relevance to your current situation in order to seek the perspectives of others to help clarify all our thinking.
Is there anything that is on your mind that you'd like us all to mull over? All suggestions gratefully received....

4 comments:

Bruv said...

It really is a thought provoking website isn't it? I have tried to imagine what life would be like without all the pressures of the modern world - being constantly bombarded with messages of how we should look, what we are expected to do/not do and even what we should feel when confronted by something. It is at first a very scary proposition to live in a world with no boundaries - they are there for a reason (or is that just further evidence of the conditioning and expectations we have been taught to live with?) Surely a world without boundaries would degenerate into a savage place - where only the strongest would survive - there would be no room for those who want to take time out to examine the beauty of the natural world that surrounds us would there? If you look at writers such as Golding who tell of how a group of fairly normal (as normal as any of us can be any way)boys, who , when taken out of the worldly environment, quickly break down into the baser instincts (Lord of the Flies for those who don't recognise the story line) this surely suppports the needs of a civilised society to introduce boundaries "laws" to protect the less able? For those who prefer the more scientific approach - just look at the Darwinian theory of evolution and survival - the law of the jungle. Further science also seems to support this theory - recognising that man has to have levels of survival paraphanalia to exist - food, water, shelter, basic need to pro create (alright the last one isn't always present - but where it isn't society is often scornful or pitying of the individuals who may now choose not to have children). So are these basic drivers there from birh or are they too instilled in us by the process of growing up? Expanding this thinking are we basically good or bad at birth or do we learn these traits as we grow up and reflect our expereinces (the old nature - versus - nurture argument)?

I believe we need boundaries, I do not believe we have got them right - but that is why society is always moving and trying to improve isn't it?

Where am I going with this chain of thinking - I have no idea - have you?

(posted on behalf of Lynn Garvey)

kats said...

Hello, Love your blog. I've had enough of the "Hamster Wheel" of life and am selling my house to buy a large boat to live on.

I will be sailing around the west coast |Of Scotland, writing, watching wildlife and best of all living.

It's turned out to be my answer.

Kats:0)

Bruv said...

Dear Kats,
How lovely to hear from you, even though I have no idea who you are. What a wonderful journey you are embarking on. I wish you well and send you love to keep you warm at night in your cabin when the wind is whistling in the rigging.
Fare ye well and keep us posted.
Your new pal,
Bruv

fuchsy said...

Hi all, well isn't it lovely to hear of others journey's, I'm imaging kats on the boat and sailing into a new life. I feel this too, but as yet too tethered to the land. I wonder what keeps me attached..probably because i have much to deal with in order to let go....but I know I'm on the journey too.

I love this blog..it is a haven in the sometimes stormy weather of life