Thursday, April 20, 2006

Your Inspiration


We all take inspiration from those around us. Some people can be like a rock to us and others can set us soaring. Some people have set the standards by which we would wish to live and some have given us the ideas to open our minds.
I am interested to know who has inspired you, both personally and by their example. You may wish to nominate someone who you have known personally and someone else who you have never met but who has been a big influence on you. Tell us how they have inspired you and what differences they have made to your life. I will add mine when I next get a break from my punishing schedule!
Love to you all
Bruv

4 comments:

Namaste said...

At around the age of 40, I needed some sort of outlet for my spiritual side and Bruv noticed an advert in a newsagents window for an astrology group nearby. When I first joined the group it was held in a local hall and the topics of conversation were 'highbrow' astrology. I knew very little about the subject at that time but something in me wanted to keep attending. After a few months we lost the hall which was part of a church as the vicar didnt agree with the subject matter. We moved to the group leader, Sandy Knight's, house where it became much more informal. Many of the group members became very close friends and we were able to share very personal experiences between us. The group evolved into more of a self-help group. Sandy was an inspiration to me as she is such a lovely warm ego-free person. I have not yet found another leader who inspires me as much as Sandy did and I miss this group very much. It taught me a lot and gave me a lot of self-confidence and some lifelong friendships as I still stay in touch with several members even though I have moved far away. It has also given me a deep understanding of astrological matters which help me understand the people around me much better. At one time it also gave me a small business as I used to prepare people's personal atsrological profiles professionally.
On a less personal level I have been inspired by a number of public figures. These include Martin Luther King, the Dalai Lama, Ghandhi and Joan of Arc.
Love and Peace,
Nammy

Sue Alouche said...

Bruv, good question but will have to have a think about this one, have just risen from my bed after 5 days with this horrible flu so can't get my head around it at the moment. feeling better today but now Louis is poorly with it again - anyhow we are going on holiday in 4 days yippeeeeee!!

Swanx

Bruv said...

My inspirations are many and various.

In terms of people I know, my mum and dad have always shown me the right way to live and to care for others. My father-in-law Doug Fuller inspired me to develop certain standards of social behaviour.

Of people I do not know personally I would like to identify these by area of interest. Art has always been important to me, both appreciating it and attempting in my small way to produce it. Max Ernst among many others has inspired me in art by his sheer genius of invention. Music is another area of great joy for me. Frank Zappa inspired me me to challenge the conventional approaches to music. In books, I have re-read Anthony Burgess, Trsitram Shandy, Philip K Dick (every book a mind-blower) and Evelyn Waugh more times than I care to remember.

But above all these are those figures whose ideas have been so life changing that they have provided the compasses by which I steer my fragile craft, the Buddha, LaoTse and Chuang Tsu, the last two being the founding fathers of Taoism.

Of course, I must not forget to mention those people in my everyday life who are a constant inspiration to me, of whom several are contributors to Dao. Thank you
for being in my life.

There are also a wealth of figures in public life that Namaste has listed; Martin Luther King, Ghansi and the Dalai Lama. These are all inspirational to me.

Let us hear your inspirations now folks.

Love
Bruv

Sue Alouche said...

So many people have been an inspiration in my life but here are some special ones:

My Mum and Dad have to go top of the list for their warm, nurturing unconditional love, their positive approach to my life, and to Dad, for not repeating the problems and difficulties he had in his own life when he was growing up, with his own children I really admire someone, who has been through hell themselves, but who puts that behind them and gets on with their own life in a positive way.

For bruv for always making me look at life in a different (and more interesting) way.

For Deirdre Morrow, who believed in me after my accident and offered me a great job when I couldn't walk... she has no idea how she changed my life, gave me back my confidence and changed my life.

For Tammy, who could always smile even when she was going through hell. She has attained great happiness now but it has taken her a long, long time.

For Manny, who is always thoughtful of others, always grateful for what he has, never complaining and very positive about life and what it has to offer.

For Ben, a dear friend who had MS very badly now and who has so many things to deal with on a daily basis but who can always laugh and joke and look at the positive side of life. Ditto Bruv, who I am sure has enough to deal with healthwise but who always looks at things positively.

And to those people who I don't know but I have found inspiring.

Alison Lapper - who with no limbs has achieved amazing things with her life.

Oscar Schindler for saving and changing the lives of over 6000 people to date.

Lucien Freud whose paintings are the most beautiful interpretations of the human body I have seen.

Mr French teacher at school who first made me fall in love with France at the age of 11 when I fell in love with him. Look at me now!

For Gerard Depardieu for being a rebel, a b------ but a great actor.

For Nelson Mandela who spent 22 years in prison fighting for something he believed in and upon his release realised some of his ambitions.

Swanx