Thursday, August 24, 2006

Hypnotherapy for beginners


Hi Folks,
As I am currently investigating being trained as a hypnotherapist, which will include NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) I am interested in any experiences you may have of hypnosis. Have you ever been hypnotised or witnessed it? Do you have any thoughts about it or allied issues that you wish to share? Since announcing my intention I have had many requests from people who think it might be of help to them. Do you think that many of our ills are caused from how we think about life?
Love
Bruv

4 comments:

Sue Alouche said...

I have been through the process of hypnosis three times. All for losing weight. The first time I wanted to lose weight I had just read an article about a Mr Woolf who was running hypnotism classes for those who wanted to lose weight on a healthy diet. In those days there were no web sites and I went along to an introductory session in a Harley Street practice where they told you about the diet (which was very important - imagine being hypnotised to eat a lot of unhealthy things!) and they tested you to see if you would hypnotise well. This involved being hypnotised standing up and falling into someone's arms in front of a small group of onlookers and I remember that I was quite nervous at the time. But I passed the test, went under immediately and found myself in the arms of another man when I woke up. This then meant that I was a good candidate for being hypnotised. So I then went along for a lunchtime session the following week with Mr Woolf.

There were around 10 of us in the class all sitting on chairs in front of him. I cannot remember the whole technique, it was around 20 years ago, although I think we had to stare at some type of image with a candle in front of it. Once under, he then told us what we should and shouldn't eat and how great we would feel if we lost weight - again cannot remember all the details but we were under for something like 30 minutes and it was pretty much a counselling session, i.e. the benefits of losing weight, why we should do it etc.

This diet worked successfully, I do remember going back to work and refusing sugar in my tea and coffee straightaway (I used to have 2 sugars) and I think I lost around 3 stone, obviously the effects wear off after some time!

The second time I had been recommended to a man who practised in Camden Town. I have to say that had I not been recommended I don't think I would have gone through with it. A friend of mine and a couple of her friends had attended this man's practice so I knew that he was kosher and that the diet was a sensible one and that he was safe - although i suppose you never know!

The thing that I suppose put me off this chap was where he practised - it was a horrible old practice at the top of a building near Kentish Town Road, the place was quite run down although the hynopsis bed seemed perfectly clean nd tidy, but he was a little strange and leary and I remember thinking, god, once I am under he could do anything! But I did go through with it and all was well. His technique was for me to close my eyes and use the traditional 'your eyes are getting heavy etc' although the effects of this hypnosis did not last as long- I did however lose around 2 stone very quickly.

To sum up, I think the surroundings have to be good - to make people feel at ease, relaxed, clean, safe etc, as if it is a one-to-one session I think it can be quite frightening particularly for a male hypnotist treating a female. The person also for me has to be reassuring and put you at ease but also very professional.

I think hypnosis is very good for those who find dieting difficult or for those who need extra willpower to do it. I also think you need to have top-up sessions to make it really work well and follow progress.

I have also had other experiences with hypnosis - My ex-partner and I went to see a hypnotist on stage - he came to Totteridge to give a show and at that time I knew a lot of people in the audience. This hypnotist did the usually things make people do things they would never normally do, take their clothes off, do acrobats and other silly poses etc and I know that it was not planned beforehand because I knew some of the people that he had used as guinea pigs and they had not been a part of his act - they had no idea that they were going to be called up on stage.

I have also watched Darren Brown and Paul McKenna and David Blain who are hypnotists and illusionists as we all probably have and we all went off to see David Blain in his glass box next to Tower bridge, he used hypnosis a lot to see him through the gruelling number of days he was in the box with no food and just water via a feed and the day that we saw him he definitely looked like he was under the spell.

Its all very fascinating these powers of mind over matter and I wish you every success in your new venture Phil - I think you will be very good at it.

fuchsy said...

I have done hypnonsis many tilmes and really benefited from the insights I gained about myself even perhaps my past lives. I have found it most uplifting experience. I have also trained as a Master Practitioner in NLP and have found the models and methods I learnt over a few years of study hugely interesting to me personally and beneficial to my work. Who are you going to train with Bruv? I think that hypnosis alongside NLP is a very holistic and deep way to get to the heart of the matter of both yourself and others. In fact, it is working with oneself with the training that probably is one of the greatest gifts of NLP. Love Fuchsy x

Bruv said...

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, there has been a slight hiccup in the plans. I heard yesterday that the course in Bristol has been cancelled! So I must rethink how and when I can do this. Any suggestions gratefully received. perhaps Fuchsy you may know of an alternative method. I am constrained to weekend study and preferably somewhere easy to get to. London would be difficult.
Ho hum....

Sue Alouche said...

Glad you have sorted out another course Bruv and all the best for your future career path....

Swanxx