
I have just woken up from a bizarre dream.
Mum and Dad lived with us in our house in France but they were my age - late forties. I remember looking at them and thinking oh I remember you like that so well. Mum was sitting having her breakfast with Dad sitting on the sofa and then I came into the room.
They stopped talking and looked away from the white wall next to the sofa. I looked at them wondering why they did this - then I looked at the white wall and it was covered in white spiders, in fact the other walls also were covered in large white spiders but from a distance you could not see them - what a great camauflage I thought.
"Well Dad aren't you going to do something about them - aren't you going to kill them?" I said "No, there's too many of them", and he just went back to his breakfast. Dad was dressed smartly for work as he always was and Mum was in her nighty and dressing gown. I remember thinking how lovely she looked with her curly brown hair and how strong and handsome Dad looked ready for work.
I was then really scared, these spiders were everywhere but were not moving - they were totally static as if stuck to the wall. I then went into the kitchen on the white walls were more and on the bright blue wall were transluscent spiders that you could not see until you got up close.
On my way back to the lounge there were hundreds more that I hadn't noticed on the way to the kitchen on the hall walls.
I went back - "but you have to do something Dad the kids will be up soon and they will freak out" I said (really it was me that was freaking out!) I was getting very anxious wondering what would happen once Dad had gone to work. When they all came to life and started crawling all over us.
He then said, "But they were there yesterday and you didn't notice" - I then had the realisation that Mum had lived in the house the day before knowing that there were spiders all over the walls and she hadn't been worried by it - Why? normally she would be - Dad was always the spider and daddy long leg catcher in our house. I then woke up......
What are your thoughts. I have my own but I would be interested to hear yours.
Swanx
12 comments:
I am one of those people who loves to interpret dreams. I find that, because I do it purely on intuition, either something leaps straight out at me or it doesnt.
This dream speaks volumes to me. Apologies if some of this will seem very personal. And forgive me if it also seems obvious.
It is about your fear of getting old, both for yourself and for others, ie Mum, Dad and I. And because you fear old age so much you cannot understand how others can become resigned to it.
The spiders are old age creeping up on you almost unseen year by year. You picture Mum and Dad being close to the age you see yourself at and yet they are unconcerned by the spiders, they have come to accept old age. And you find this hard to understand.
You see yourself in the dream as having children, yet your attitude to dealing with the spiders is that of when you were young and still living at home and expecting Dad to solve the problems for you. Do you still in your heart of hearts hope they will solve your problems for you? Who is your spider catcher now? When will it be you?
The main issue it highlights for me is linked to your continual enquiries about my and Mum and Dad's health. You want desperately to help and you can't understand why we do not get worked up about this problem. A particular issue for you is that you live far away and feel frustrated that you cannot be there for us as much as you would like. At the same time, as the dream reveals, they do not seem as bothered about it as you are which is also frustrating for you. They listen to your well-intentioned advice on the phone but nothing seems to happen. Very frustrating again.
I believe there are several lessons in this dream for you. One is that people as they get older change their attitude to aging. They realise that nature is taking its inevitable course and become resigned to it. This is difficult for you to come to terms with as you are still of an age where life is all opportunity and you have the growing life of your kids to focus on. I sense your frustration in our conversations about health issues. May I quote from a recent email of yours "I am your Sis and I need to know what's going on with your health."
I am afraid that I too am resigning myself to the hand that life has dealt me. And I have more peace of mind because of it.
You know what our family is like; we sit here worrying about you and you sit there worrying about us. Let us accept that each others perspectives on life are different.
The important thing is that we are a family in which there is a lot of love for which we should be grateful, even if it does make us worry-gutses!
One of the main messages that rings through all the Dao correspondence is that true happiness lies in accepting life as it is. Wanting it to be different will only bring you suffering. It is enough for us to know that we love you and are loved by you in equal measure in return and I for one do not doubt this.
I hope I have not been too blunt but the meaning at the heart of your dream is so clear to me. I hope others will add to these thoughts. Aren't dreams wonderful. Even the bad ones are good!
All my love
Bruv
xx
PS. I forgot to add that the sentence in your description which reads:
"I was getting very anxious wondering what would happen once Dad had gone to work."
is the standard dream code for:
"I was getting very anxious wondering what would happen once Dad has died."
You do not have to worry about this. Look at all the people around you whose Dads have died. They have all suffered a big loss but life goes on. This is what happens to all humans.
Love Bruv
PPS. I feel morally bound to add, please dont kill spiders if you can help it. They are lovely creatures and they fear death as much as we do.
Yes Bruv, I think a lot of what you have said is spot-on but I feel that this dream is about my own vulnerability generally. I do not have a spider-catcher here full-time, so I am the catcher and perhaps I feel the strain of that a little and therefore look to the times when perhaps I was more taken care of as a child in day-to-day situations - I forgot to add that Manny was not in my dream.
Recently there have been many niggly things wrong at our house with the water, the bathroom the doors, and these things seem to go on forever as there is no-one here full-time to deal with them. If I could communicate better I could deal with them but I usually leave these things to Manny.
There are some big differences in our interpretations regarding Mum and Dad. I was quite shocked as I told you to see how frail and tired they were when they were last over and this has made me reflect greatly on how they used to be, what we used to do as a family etc and yes of course I love having those memories but I am also happy that they are taking getting old in their stride. I do not worry about this aspect usually as they are often on top form mentally and we laugh and joke about them getting old and not being able to do things.
I do worry about their day-to-day practical living however, as when you live with them you, as I do when I come over, you do see the practical things that are more difficult for them to do and so I try and suggest practical solutions - that is only normal.
I also do not have frustrations about them not taking my advice. I discuss these things with them and I know that they will get around to the ones which need doing or not, eventually. I am not continually worrying, I worry when someone is sick obviously.
I also do not see it as my fear of getting old as such. I see it as a realisation that they are now old but they used to be just like me with the same worries to deal with.
With you its different because you do not talk about your illness openly - you have to realise that this can bring frustrations for others who do worry about your health. That's what Sis's are for I am afraid - particularly this one.
Of course I treasure the fact that there is an enormous amount of love in our family - that is something which will be incredibly difficult to part with when Mum and Dad do go out to work!
On that note I end.
Please add more of your own interpretations. Thanks Swanx
May I add my interpretation. To me, spiders represent death and transformation. Interestingly, your spiders are white or see-through. Perhaps you cannot accept, or 'see', that death is inevitable. They can also imply that you feel trapped as in a web of concern and feel frustrated at being far away.
I agree with Bruv in as much as Mum and Dad were not worried about the spiders as they have accepted their old age and inevitable death.
Love Nammy
Thanks Nammy, yes I knew that spiders are related to death, but not to transformation, yes I think its hard for me to accept that Mum and Dad are in the last stage of their lives (and that I will have to accept death eventually). I do find it hard to imagine a world without them but as Bruv said it is inevitable and death is all part of life.
Thinking about this dream more, I had a long conversation with a friend, Paul the other evening and we were both reminiscing about when our parents were younger so perhaps this also has a part to play in them being youthful in the dream.
Thanks for your interpretation Nams xx
Dear Swan,
There was much in your reply that made a lot of sense to me.
As Namaste says, spiders can imply a sort of trap you can feel stuck in. Being left alone during the week to fend off domestic problems where you cannot 100% communicate with the locals can give you that trapped feeling.
However if this was all there was to the dream I would agree with your interpretation of vulnerability in domestic matters, but its major element to me was the inclusion of Mum and Dad. They add a different dimension to the meaning I think. Why do you think they were in the dream?
I am sure that if Manny gets the job closer to home much of the day to day frustrations will disappear, but the dream is more deep seated than this and has used the setting to bring out deeper issues, which we all share to a large extent.
Thank you for allowing us to explore this dream and whether we are right or wrong does not matter. Much is also revealed by the various interpretations too both about you and about ourselves.
I believe that they were there as the dream is obviously about my fear of them dying, but I also think they were there as a reminder to me of how secure I once felt and how unsettled I will feel when they are not around to talk to about things, life and the universe.
I think its also as I said that I have been reminising a lot recently about when they were my age, the things they had to deal with, my life as the youngest child of the family. I suppose you have always been there emotionally as a male figure in my life and Dad physically. Mum has always been the worrier (but very strong in underneath) but she is worrying no more (seemingly in the dream).
I believe that Dad looked particularly handsome and strong as that is how I have viewed him all my life - he will take care of me physically. He is someone to look up to. He is also a reminder of Manny and how I view him.
As Manny is not here full time - my dream I feel is looking to them for support and not getting it in the dream because they are now the one's who need the support.
Interesting isn't it. Can't stop thinking about it.
Much love Swan xxx
Yes Swan, I agree with all that you are saying and it is a most thought provoking dream.
I was interested by a remark that Namaste made a few days ago when she said that all Libras need to live with someone. It echoes in your remark that Dad and now Manny "will take care of me physically." This, on the face of it, is not a very 'liberated woman' type comment and came as a surprise to me as I had always thought of you as the achiever, the one who, in effect, took care of Manny. Perhaps I have not been aware enough of your vulnerabilities before. I always saw you as much more of an achiever than I.
I was also intrigued by your remark "my life as the youngest child of the family". This seems to imply something emotionally to you but I dont know what it is. Pray tell.
Much love
Bruv
Bruv
I am always shocked at how others view me, and we should know one another well after all these years you would think. But no, I think of myself mentally as very strong, but physically pretty weak especially these days. Dad always represented for me, physical strength - he did a manual, hard, job. He was tall and strong and this is perhaps the view I had as a child and this has stayed with me all my life. I can see it with Fleur too, 'Daddy is someone who will look after me'. Manny has that physical strength too. He is so physically strong - and mentally too I must add - but I think psychologically I am more drawn to big, strong men who can take care of me like Dad did (I don't know from what by the way?).
You are right, I do take care of Manny in some ways, and he me - this is quite well-balanced in our relationship. I do feel that you have more to tell about this point - so perhaps you could enlighten me?
I could write a book about being the youngest child - so I will have to keep it short. I have always felt babied, mollycoddled, mothered and not taken seriously. If you read your first comment again Bruv, a lot of what you have written reiterates that, i.e. how you feel I feel but these feelings are not necessarily the reality.
In terms of achievement, I suppose that depends on what you feel an achiever is. I believe I am an achiever, I think I achieve a lot in life and make the most of my life and try to help others make the most of theirs too, through support, strength and love. I do not put this down to physical strength but strength of character, mental strength. But it depends what you feel achievement is. Why do you feel I am more of an achiever than you? If you look at our two situations you have achieved far more materially and spiritually than I for example. What does being an achiever mean to you?
Yes, librans most definitely need to live with someone, I for one, am very people-focused - people are my life, my love, my strength. When I am not interacting with people I can get quite morose.
As an aside I am meeting a with a very experienced astrologist this week, a friend of a friend who can also tell me about my karma - ie why I am here, what is my purpose in this life and also about my past and future life. Watch this space Nammy!!!
With much love Swan x
Dear Swan,
What you are highlighting here for us is a very key issue for many people; the difference between how we see ourselves and how others see us. I suppose it derives from how well we know ourselves and how well others know us.
Using myself as an example, there is a strange facet to my character in that I do not know how I truly feel about people until after they have gone. I find for example after I have split up with someone that a few weeks later I am missing them terribly and it surprises me how out of touch with my own feelings I can be.
Another example is when I say to someone that I am feeling very low self-esteem and they look at me in disbelief and say "What you? You are so self-confident all the time!" Perhaps my true feelings do not come across to people who only see the outside.
I could echo some of the things you say about being the youngest child. I too feel very mollycoddled and mothered within the family but I think we must accept that this is the way Mum and Dad treat us. I know that it is difficult to have an adult conversation with them as their main focus is around our wellbeing which is lovely in some ways but can be suffocating in others. Please do not feel that this applies just to you, as the youngest, because we both are subjected to it!
Regarding achievement, I have a feeling that when we compare ourselves with other people we see the strengths of others but the weaknesses in ourselves, so in comparison we sometimes think others are doing so much better than we are. Strange isnt it that you think I have achieved more and I think that you have! In fact, now I think about it, I look at most people around me and think how strong they are. That's low self-esteem for you!
Much love and hugs across La Manche
Bruv
Dear Swan and Bruv,
I think you are both strong in different ways. Swan I see as much more extrovert and much more of a people person. Bruv on the other hand is much deeper and doesnt show what he is truly feeling as I dont think he knows half the time what he is feeling.
In astrological terms, Bruv's moon (his feeling side) is in the twelth house which is all about hidden secrets and the underworld. So from an astrological point of view his character makes sense. Swan, I am not sure of your moon sign. Do you know? But i'd expect it to be in a more outgoing sign. I will look forward to hearing what your astrologer has to say.
Thanks for your interpretation of my dream. I am still thinking it through myself.
Love The Nambuka
Post a Comment