
Tricia Orr and Greg Orr, Autumn, 2006, 24 x 36 inches, oil on canvas.
Have just been reading an interesting article on the New Scientist web-site about the science of Love.
The bit I found fascinating was that when we fall in love (romantically) our brain shows similarities to that of going insane or having obsessive compulsive disorder.
Apparently when you first fall in love your serotinin levels plummet and your dopamine levels soar giving a similar high to an addictive drug, creating powerful links between pleasure and the person we have affection for. So we crave that 'hit' again and again.
Lust is driven by sex hormones such as testosterone, which can go off-kilter too. Other hormones, oxytocin and vasopressin, kick in later and appear to be crucial for forming long-term partnerships. Couples who have been together for several years show increased brain activity associated with these chemicals, when they look at pictures of their partner.
I have to say that I have experienced this need for the 'hit' very strongly in some of my relationships. I also keep a photo of Manny next to my bed and whenever I really look at it - I have to kiss it - its an automatic reaction. Its that naughty vasopressin doing its stuff!
Its a really interesting read - if you are interested take a look at http://www.newscientist.com/channel/sex/love/dn9981
I am giving English conversation lessons to a lady who wants to be an air traffic controller and so has to extremely fluent in english and she is very interested in science so I am always trying to find articles on this site that will interest her - its a great web-site f you haven't already found it and there's lots of spiritual stuff on there too!
12 comments:
Thank you Swan. I will take a look at the article you're reading. I understand the desire for a "hit" in many of my relationships as well. We call it a "fix" down here cuz it does feel like a drug.
Love,
Lynn xo
Lynn, Its funny but I have never thought of it as being as addictive as a hard drug before reading this article, but when love hits you hard it is really like a drug. You really can't wait for the next fix, you're right!
Oh thinking back to those heady days of lustful love in all sorts of places....think I might try and re-kindle the fix by taking some serotinin tablets!!!
Swan ; )))
Swan, You just put a huge smile on my face. Just thinking back over those crazy-luv phases in my life and all the "special" places "it" happened.
I'm going to hold off on the serotonin for now. I'm not dating anyone presently. ;-))) But you should definitly GO FOR IT! ;-)
Lynn xoxoxo
Hi All,
As the last of the red hot lovers, I have seratonin oozing from every pore. The only trouble is that, like Lynn, I dont have anyone to share it with at the moment. I used to love the rush of a new romance and that walking on air feeling. But then I reached puberty....;-)
Love Bruv
love all that chemistry ..will have to look it up !
Before I really knew john , I always had a strange feeling of attraction to him when I danced with him ..totally un verbal ..but then he is a chemist !
love fuchsy xxx
Dear Bruv,
You have me laughing Cleopatra!!! ;-))))) Oh.. the rush of new romance....
Dear Lynn,
I am always happy to raise a smile for you. It's about all I can raise these days... ;-))
sad but true Bruv , for diabetics and heart paitents ......????one of whom I know very well....
But we have the lovely tablets free on the NHS for those conditions ..can personally recommend them !!!
Thanks Fuchsy, I probably just need the love of a good woman ;-)
Hi all,
Oh that heady feeling of being addicted to love! I have felt that rush many times. 'Oh I hope he will ring soon!'; boring your friends rigid with talk about your new man! To me it has been like a drug. One that sends you on a roller coaster ride. Nothing can match the highs of love - or the lows!
However, these days I am much happier when I am not in love, as it is too draining of energy for me, as I have tended to direct my love to the wrong people in the past and lost myself on the way! Oh for a quiet life curled up with a good book!
Love
The celibate nun Namaste (if only!)
Dear Ciariad,
I speak from bitter experience when i say that sometimes we are the dumper and sometimes we are the dumpee. (that probably means something quite different to Lynn in the US!).
Like you, I may have loved and lost but I still have some wonderful memories which keep me warm in the cold winter nights. Need I say more?
Lotsaluvbruv
Dear Bruv & Ciariad,
I know EXACTLY what you mean about being the dumper & dumpee. I've been both as well.
Love is everywhere. I just need to pick better. I miss not being in a relationship but know it will happen exactly when it's supposed to. Next time I will be sure that it's with a man who is somewhat like-minded.
Love,
Lynn xo
Post a Comment