Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The smallest miracle...


Amillia Taylor who was born at 22 weeks weighing just 10 ounces - now that's a miracle, she is the most premature baby to have ever survived.

5 comments:

lynn said...

Dear Swan,

Can you tell us anything about her? What a sweet little innocent baby girl.

Love,
Lynn xo

Sue Alouche said...

Hi Lynn, isn't she amazing, she is bigger now!

Amillia was born last October at 22 weeks in the US where babies aren't considered viable until 23 weeks, however, her desperate mother lied to doctors about how far gone she was and therefore she is the most premature baby to have ever survived.

She is about to be released from hospital and is a perfectly normal baby for her age. To put this into perspective, in the UK women can have an abortion up until 24 weeks, so there is now a debate going on about whether this should be adjusted, whether doctors should be dictating this 23 weeks 'viability' deadline etc;, and should we be saving such tiny babies?

What do you think?
Love Swanx

lynn said...

I think this is a clear sign that termination deadlines should be re-evaluated.

This little baby girl is fortunate to have a mother who fought for her life. With the amount of money my country has, it's appalling to me that someone would have to lie in order to save a life.

What do you think?

Love,
Lynn xo

Sue Alouche said...

Yes its an interesting issue Lynn, as many might say that this was a one-off and that other babies brought into the world in this way might end up with terrible physical or mental problems as a result. Therefore I think this is a difficult issue. On this occasion it was a success and the little baby is thriving, but are we playing around with nature too much? I'm not sure.....
Over to you?
Swanxx

lynn said...

Oh, you are so right, many of these babies may end up with disabilities. But is there a reason these babies are being born? One for us to learn from? Are we making decisions to terminate little souls who have chosen yet another life down here? It's such a moral issue for me, I just don't know where I stand on this. I do believe in pro-choice, but if it were up to me, as the person I am today, I would be hard pressed to make a clear decision if it were my baby.

Love,
Lynn xo