Tuesday, July 13, 2010

First love


My memory works in strange ways these days. I cant remember what I did two hours ago, but I can remember so clearly the thoughts and feelings of decades past.
One of the memories that is so clear to me now is that of my first girlfriend. She was a Turkish girl, Sue Mustafa, and I fell hook, line and sinker for her dark exotic looks, heady scent and passionate nature. She worked at the local supermarket where I was a 'Saturday boy'. I was too shy to ask her for a date but she solved that by saying 'When are you going to ask me out then?' and I stuttered 'Now.' We had some passionate dates in the local cinema and the whole experience was so new to me and so exciting. I spent all my hard earned but tiny pay-packet on the movies and dinners. I thought it would last forever, until one of her friends told me that after I left her each evening she went off to a nightclub with her other boyfriends! My mum had to console my sobbing in my bedroom by telling me there were plenty more fish in the sea.
It ended with a cheeky twist. I couldn't summon up the courage to tell her that I couldn't see her anymore, so I asked her best friend to tell her for me. Then I added 'As I won't be seeing her any more, would you go out with me instead?' and she said yes! So I managed to avoid further devastating heartbreak. But I will never forget those first passionate kisses and cuddles in the back row of the Odeon cinema and walking hand-in-hand along the street, so proud at having a girlfriend on my arm. And for those memories, I still think of her with affection and a little longing.
Do you remember your first love? Do they still have a special place in your heart? Do tell all!

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Hi Bruv! Oh, this really rings home for me. Do you know I STILL think about my first love. Very often. He was so dreamy and we really thought we loved each other. I remember our break-up was very hard on both of us. His family was relocating and we could barely stand the thought of being separated. I was in the 10th grade, and we were experimenting with each other which really made it more difficult. But along with the sexual encounters, we were really passionate and intimate. Probably one of the most honest relationships I've shared. I remember when he was getting married to Julie, he called me on his wedding day about an hour before the ceremony to ask me if I was sure we couldn't get back together. I laugh when I think about that. It was about 35 years ago and he is still married to Julie,

He is always in the back of my mind, Love is grand!!!!!

Bruv said...

Oh Lynn, i know the feelings you describe so well. I had a similar experience. One of my early girlfriends decided to marry her childhood sweetheart and invited me to the wedding. It broke my heart to have to sit in church watching the two of them walk down the aisle and exchange their vows.

Then a few years later another girlfriend also decided to marry someone else while I was still in love with her. She had me helping to choose her wedding menu and outfits but I drew the line at attending the wedding. I couldn't face going through that again. I dont know what it is about me that makes women think I'd love going to see them marry someone else!

But, as you say, these emotional ties stay with us long after the person has moved on. But you cant stop loving them can you. x

Sue Alouche said...

My first real love, in fact obsession, was with the boy who lived next door to Tammy, my dear friend who now lives in New Zealand, who looked just like Donny Osmond. On top of that he was Swedish.

I first fell in love with him when I was around 14, podgy and spotty. He was tall, dark with that long wavey hair (just like Donny's). I used to spend hours at Tammy's just to get a glimpse of him... he wasn't interested!

By the time I was 16 I was a bit better looking, not so podgy or spotty and felt more attractive generally. So Tammy and a few others told me to go in for the kill! One Saturday night (wearing my new red pencil skirt) I plucked up the courage to move in and flirt and he went for it...but then told me that he was moving back to Sweden... I was heartbroken of Barnet! Boo Hoo ;(

Bruv said...

Thanks for sharing Sue. I didnt know any of this. We feel emotions so keenly in our teens dont we. Its a good job we arent like that for life! And I dont remember that red pencil skirt, it sounds so cool! What a fool he was to go back to Sweden when he could have had the best! xx

Anonymous said...

My first love, Eddie White from Archway who I met at the age of 15 at the Con Club in North Finchley in my skinhead days - reggae and ben sherman shirts.

White by name and white hair, blue blue eyes and very sweet smile. Our romance lasted for about 6 months until Eddie decided it was time for him to play the field again and left me with a broken heart and golf ball eyes from all the crying I did on the stairs at Ventnor Drive. Namaste xxx

Sue Alouche said...

Nam, he sounds cool...I would have been gutted too!