Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Another interesting question from the schooloflife.com How Necessary Is a Relationship?

How Necessary Is A Relationship

"Most of us would agree that while love can make us happier it can also make us more miserable than anything else.  So is it really worth it?  Do we need a relationship in order to live a happy and fulfilled life?  Are there times when it’s better for us to be on our own?

Resolute singletons would argue that flying solo better suits our contemporary lifestyle – greater freedom, fewer sacrifices, no commitment, more fun.  Die-hard romantics would counter that 1 + 1 equals something greater than just 2 people, and that life without love is poorer for it.  Others of us don’t know what we want, and drift from one relationship to the next simply because we’re afraid to be on our own.

Whether you’re in or out of love, up or down with it, this class will trawl the wisdom of the ages to see what ideas philosophy, psychoanalysis, literature and art can offer each of us in deciding this question for ourselves."

I'll post up my comments on this one later!
 
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting topic Bruv, I have only ever lived on my own for about 6 months when first moving to Watchet and I must say I was very happy, probably the happiest I had ever been but I was getting over a terrible relationship at the time. I did start to get a bit restless and love literally knocked on my door one night from a neighbour opposite and probably within about a month I was co-habiting once again.

Being born under the sign of the scales it is second nature to be in relationship with another but this can take many forms it doesn't have to be a full blown relationship, friendship can work well also.

The most important thing is to be able to be free within a relationship to have ones own interests and time alone to ponder the Universe and other things.

Nammy
xx

Lynn said...

Very interesting. I have been divorced for many years and have never lived formally with anyone of the opposite sex other than my husband. I believe I'm in a place now where I could share in a relationship, but would need to be super careful not to "lose" myself, my independence. This may all be an excuse for not taking a chance in co-habitating.

Aren't we designed as humans to live in relationship with others all the time?

Sue Alouche said...

Interesting what you are both saying - it's important to not lose yourself in a relationship. I agree.

I think relationships are incredibly difficult sometimes but do bring their rewards of love, friendship, sharing experiences, helping one another etc.

I also see single people too having a great time because they can do exactly as they want. But, they are usually to yearning to find the right person. That right perso
is diffucult to find so they usually end up feeling not 100 per cent in either place.

Do you think people set themselves too high ideals. Can we really find all that we want from one person? I feel that i get certain things from a relationship and the other things i need from friends and family around me.

What do you think?

Sue Alouche said...

Excuse the spelling mistakes...doing this from an iphone. Keyboard not large enough for my fingers!

Lynn said...

Swan, Nothing compares to intimacy. This is what makes our world shake. But my girlfriends are so important to me. Women need each other, we nurture. I definitely believe people set their standards way too high at times. I know I do.

The thing is, if the relationship is really right, then there is nothing to lose. You can only gain. So I'm not sure why I lean on that statement so much.

I don't think we can find everything in 1 person. That might be boring for me. I love the differences in people. I too get different things from all the people in my life.

XO

Bruv said...

Relationships!! Where to start? I think its important to recognise the different types of relationship that we can have. The one to die for is the full-blown romantic sexual passionate one but recent theories are that this one usually lasts about 18 months before it either dies completely or transmutes into the next type. Which I'd describe as loving, caring, warm but without the hot spark of excitement. The sort of relationship in which you start to think about building a nest and raising children, about longer term security. However, I dont know about women but at some point the man will think am I getting over the hill, am I still attractive, did I really want all this responibility. And the result - mid-life crisi and affairs. This then tests the strength of the original relationship. If it survives then it will probably last a lifetime. If not, then we have to pick up the pieces and start again. But is starting again actually worth all the effort of dating etc? Or is it easier to live as a single person finding comfort in friends or pets.
None of these relationships are right or wrong but they are all certainly different. Where are you all in the cycle? Have you come to terms with what you want from a relationship and how much of your independence will you give up to get it? I could write much more but its after midnight so night-night everybody! xx