People often talk about responding to things on different ‘levels’. For instance, someone might say that some experience was negative on one level but positive on another level.In the way our brain works there are natural hierarchies or levels of experience. The effect of each level is to organise and control the information on the level below it. Changing something on an upper level would necessarily change things on the lower levels. Changing something on a lower level could, but would not necessarily, affect the upper levels.
Robert Dilts, a Californian psychologist, has built a simple elegant model for thinking about personal change, learning and communication that brings together these ideas of context, levels of learning and perceptual position. It gives a framework for organising and gathering information, so you can identify the best point to intervene to make any desired change.
The levels are:
Identity
This answers the question: who am I?Identity gives me my basic sense of self and my core values. Identity has primarily to do with mission. It is the deepest (or highest) level.
Beliefs
This level has to do with the values and beliefs of the individual. It answers the question: why am I doing this?Beliefs and values are the various ideas we think are true and use as a basis for daily action. Beliefs can be both permissive and limiting.
Capability
This level describes what we are capable of. They are the groups or sets of behaviours, general skills and strategies that we can use in our life.This level answers the question: how could I deal with this? At this level we use a variety of mental maps, plans or strategies to generate specific behaviour.
Behaviour
Behaviour is made up of the specific actions or reactions taken within our daily environment.Regardless of our capabilities, behaviour describes what we actually do. It answers the question: what am I doing?
Environment
This has to do with the external context in which behaviour occurs.It answers the question: when and where does this behaviour occur?
Monday, March 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This looks a very useful way of categorising the various elements of our personality. As you have written here, Fuchsy, it seems to be about describing us as we are. Does NLP also seek to answer the questions, what should each of these aspects be, i.e. what should we believe (if anything) and what should our behaviour be. Does it recognise the aspect that there may be a 'truth' out there which we have yet to realise. In other words is NLP purely a descriptor tool or also a development tool?
NLP is really a way of understanding our selves and our world, so therefore is useful for self development.
The processes can help you give yourself nore choices about things and see things from different perspectives...i.e just look at your language,.. do you make generalisations, like I 'm never asked to parties..is that strickly true , what never ever?..well no sometimes , but not as much as I'd like ...then how to get more choice..how about seeing things differently and say I'm not asked to parties as much as I'd like to be , so I'm going to do something about that !
Post a Comment