
Our mum is 80, isn't she lovely!!
When I was over staying with Mum and Dad a few weeks ago I was helping Mum to get dressed for a celebratory lunch, poor Mum, I convinced her to dress up a little as she normally wears "something comfortable'. Then I realised why. Everything at her age is a struggle, putting things over the head, pulling up tights, standing up, sitting down, getting a necklace on etc. But when she was dressed and had put her lippy on, had brushed her lovely white hair, had sprayed on her perfume she looked so lovely, and when Dad saw her dressed up he had a little twinkle in his eye and said you still look as beaufitul now as the day I met you.
That for me summed up getting old. As we get older, life gets more of a struggle, we look in the mirror and look older, the wrinkes are showing, the body is sagging, but the beauty is still deep within us no matter what age we are.
The other thing about Mum is that she has become so much broad minded in her older age. You can talk to her about most things now. I remember when she was younger far more things being taboo.
This is dedicated to our beautiful mum.
How do you feel about getting old, not just physically but mentally too?
5 comments:
Hi Swan,
Looks like you have the photos of Mum's birthday lunch, can you send them to me?
Yes I agree about Mum becoming so broad minded. Her Mum was exactly the same. Nanny Swan stuck up for me when I was up to my antics in my wilder years saying to Mum "Boys will be boys!". I think Mum has probably always been broad minded but didnt show it as she wanted us to stay on the straight and narrow, and I bless her for that. A lovely photo of Mum looking as regal as ever!
To answer your question about age, you have caught me at the wrong moment because, having just returned from a retreat, I think everything is wonderful!
Every age of life has its blessings and as long as we are not wishing we were someone or somewhere else we can enjoy them to the full. Its like with children; when you are suffering the terrible two's you see well it must get easier and your friend tells you wait til they hit their teens it is worse! But would we want to miss any age of our children's development? Each age has its joys. So we can focus on the joys rather than the aches and pains. Being alive with aches and pains is better than the alternaive!
Asda beckons and I must away!
Joy to you all on a sunny June day.
Lovely picture of a lovely lady.
I have known Mummy W for about 30 years now and it is true what you say Swan. She is very broadminded and accepting of new ideas including spirituality. We had a good chat with her once about reincarnation etc.
I recently found some old photos of Jamesy when he was about three and it brought back many memories.
Although he is now a noxious teenager, I get a lot of pleasure when I go in his room and he tells his online friends that his mum has come in to bother him and that she is such a Neep! I still get to plant a kiss on his grease ridden hair! You cant expect too much more from a Goth-like teenager!
Regarding ageing, I still feel very young in my mind and most of the time in my body, but the thought of becoming ill and out of action worries me more than getting older. Bruv calls me Red Hot Needle and Burning Thread as I find it hard to sit down and relax but must continually be doing little jobs around the place! Still I suppose this nervous energy keeps me fit and active.
Age is a wonderful thing, something I have only really started to appreciate recently.
I recently took on night job to build up some savings to take the kids on a proper holiday this year. The job is a Care Assistant at a local residential care home.
Since April, I have got to know some truly wonderful souls (and some challenging ones) who are reaching the end of their current physical experiences.
When a body starts to atrophy, not everything you might ordinarily take for granted continues to work as you may have come to expect over the years (nor is it where you might always expect to find it!)
Joints no longer bend, muscles no longer flex and often personal dignity is realised to be just what it always was – and affectation of civilization.
At 89, being toileted, padded and dressed in the morning, or changed in to clean night clothes and fresh bedding at 3 am by a strange man (at that time of the night all men are strange!) is not always the most graceful operation. But your dignity is a personal concept and does not need to be attached to personal circumstance.
Dignity is applied to a situation and person by those who are present, not intrinsic in it’s self
My heart and love goes out to all those who have walked through this life because in so many cases, they already know what we are just about to learn.
Congratulations and a very Happy Birthday
Jon
Just to let you know that Mum and Dad thoroughly enjoyed the birthday lunch at their favourite restaurant up on Exmoor. Mum was thrilled to bits with the diamond ring that Sue, Nammy and I bought her. She kept waving her hand in the air to dazzle us with the sparkle. A good singsong in the car on the way back completed the experience!
Post a Comment