
It is that time of year and it might be nice to share some of our holiday experiences. Let us hear your favourite, most dreadful, or most peculiar holiday moments.
I remember a number of holidays where I have set off intending to be away for several days and found myself back home by teatime! Perhaps I love my little cottage too much!
I have had some wonderful holidays in Athens, Crete and Turkey. I wonder if I have been an ancient Greek in a previous life as I feel so at home there.
More longer holiday stories to follow.
Do share your tales with us all.
The man in the big sombrero!
4 comments:
I absolutely love holidays. When I went over with Rob to see Swan in Nantes last year, Gypsy and her partner Paul came to see us off at Gatwick airport, where I was like an excited child rushing around taking in the buzz of the airport. Unfortunately I am not so keen on flying now, with age I seem to have developed a bit of a phobia but it won't stop me travelling.
I have had some wonderful holidays in Turkey (I have been told by the clairvoyant, Bill Harrison, that I have had a past life there and, like Bruv with Greece, I feel very at home there). I also had a serious relationship with a Turkish man for a couple of years, which left me with a broken heart, but lots of lovely memories. Who mentioned Shirley Valentine!
I had my first taste of camping in Devon a couple of years ago with Bruv, Jamesy and his friend Richard. Unfortunately it poured with rain on the first and only night (it was the night of the Boscastle flood) and none of us slept, but we had a lot of fun telling jokes all night, and it was very character building. I hope to repeat this experience (without rain hopefully) with Bruv and Jamesy this year.
If I had enough money I would love to own a property abroad, this is a dream I have had for a long time. One day....
Love and Peace
Nammy
Ciariad talking of motor bikes reminds me of a horrendous holiday experience, which I can laugh about now, but at the time.....
Many years ago Namaste and I were on holiday in Rhodes. We decided to rent a motor scooter to go over the mountains to Lindos. I should have realised my limitations when I hit two cars in the hotel car park, never having ridden a bike before! Then we did an impromptu wheelie down the road to the garage, both hanging on for dear life! the road up the mountains was hairpin bends all the way. At the top the bike conked out but a friendly villager had a new spark plug for us and jumped on the bike to get it started and, after several attempts running it down the hill in the heat, wondered why it wouldnt go. Sheepishly, I realised I was standing there with the ignition key in my hand and waved it at him. he was not best pleased. Soon we were on our way down the mountain. It was only whne we hit the flat plain that we realised that the bike wasnt going faster than 5 miles an hour. I think we were overtaken by a flock of sheep! The steep drop into Lindos was the scene of the next disaster. Rolling down the tiny hairpin road we were rapidly confronted by, on the left a sheer drop, on the right a sheer stone wall and filling the road in the middle a huge Mercedes coach. Which way should I go. I value my life and wallet so I drove the bike into the wall to stop it!
After a lunch in Lindos spent worrying about how to get home and failing to interest a cab driver in taking us and the bike, we set off around the long coast road. The night fell swiftly as mediterranean nights do and it was then in the pitch dark that we realised the bike's lights didnt work! Huge lorries thundered towards us on the lonely coast road and the only way we could get them to see us was for me to alternately indicate left and then right so they could tell someone was there! At the speed we were going that journey seemed to last forever. Suffice it to say I have never hired a bike since but do let me know when hell freezes over as I have agreed to try again then!
So good luck to biker chick Ciariad on her French trip with Clive but forgive me if I dont envy you!
I wont mention the story about being in a speed boat whose seats consisted of two orange crates which left the deck and threw us in the air whenever we hit a wave. We were in this apology for a boat when we were confronted off the coast of Corfu by an Albanian military patrol boat!
I also wont mention the little trip in a pedalo where we managed to peddle it through a load of Italian onshore anglers fishing lines. The air turned as blue as the sky that day!
When you hear the words Champagne Cruise excursion what does it conjure up? A boat crashing so hard through the sea that the champagne flies out of the plastic cup you are holding and having to jump over the side to wade waist deep back to shore in your elegant evening dress and white suit! I thought not.
Holiday experiences......there's so many!
When I first met Manny we went to Scotland for a mini-break. We hadn't seen each other for a week and were ready to tear each other's clothes off when we met at Edinburgh airport. We ended up driving up a mountain road and veering off into a dark, secluded spot for......................What we didn't realise was that our car was stuck fast now in very sticky wet mud and we could not get the car to move. After nearly 2 hour's walk down the mountain road again we saw a small hamlet. We looked around for someone who might have a 4by4 and having spotted one I knocked on someone's door. That person was a drunken man who had really taken offence to me being there and holding on to the collars of my jacket I had the feeling that he was going to hit me in the face when Manny came back from his search and tolf him to lay off - he and his mates inside then chased us out of the his land....luckily a forest ranger was just on his way back to his patrol station which we hadn't noticed was behind the hamlet and offered us a lift.....Phew!
Portugal with Bruv, Namaste, my ex partner and a very small Jamesey 16 years ago. Upon arrival into the villa, we were met with swarms of red ants everywhere - in the beds you name it...then Jamesey had terrible diaorrhea, then the evening before my 30th Birthday there was a terrible storm, leaving no power on the site. This also meant that there were no restaurants or anything open that needed power - this then put the dampeners on the 30th Birthday meal. Meanwhile Bruv and I were being eaten alive by mosquitos and Bruv's were swelling up like small hillocks and on the airplane on the way home Bruv's bites slowly expanded and exploded with the air pressure with the results seaping through his trousers. Not nice, but we still managed to have a good time!
Our honeymoon in Provence was the loveliest - as it should be. We stayed in this hotel (which Manny promises we will go back to next year for our tenth anniversary - if you want a haven of peace and quiet with good food and lovely pool - here it is! http://www.petiteauberge.net/#
Swan,
I think that, to spare my blushes, you left out the incident of the paella I tried to cook us in Portugal where I added great dollops of olive oil not realising that the bottle I was pouring from contained identically coloured yellow washing up liquid!
I couldnt understand why the rice was hidden beneath about two inches of bubbles!
I could devote a separate website to the Scottish holidays we went on with Rick. But as a taster, how would you like to be invited to look up Rick's bum to check whether he had a pile! Only a best friend would tell you....
Post a Comment