
I am thinking of starting a local Spiritual group. Namaste and Jon have expressed an interest in joining and have asked about the format. I thought I would use the Dao as a place to gather our thoughts together and to welcome other's suggestions.
Although I am kicking off the topic, I would prefer the group to be completely democratic and only do what all are comfortable with. Some of us have belonged to groups before and found there are things that we would like and other things that we may not. So here goes with some starters for ten:
Location: This could vary, someone's house, mine if no others are practical, and all offers would be gratefully received.
Frequency: Up for grabs - weekly, fortnightly, monthly?
Time: probably in the evening after the evening meal, for a few hours.
Content: exploring areas that may offer truth and insight. No limits to the discussion and practice but no preaching either.
Format: Very much up for grabs but in order to kick off discussion may I suggest:
1. Greetings and an opening act of kindness. I very much like the Nature's Way idea of lighting a candle and having a few moments of silence directing our thoughts to send love and healing to someone we know that needs it.
2. A speaker-slot for someone to describe an area of interest which may be educative to others. This may be someone from within the group or elsewhere.
3. A discussion session concerning a spiritual or moral point that we can share our positive thoughts on.
4. A short meditation on a theme perhaps arising from the discussion.
5. A closing dedication to capture the positive energy. An example of a dedication I use personally is 'May the fruits of this meditation benefit all beings'.
6. Tea and biccies and social chats.
7. Farewells.
This is very much the bare bones and I am sure there are things you have found that worked well elsewhere that we can include. I know Namaste's group used to start with a word chosen at random by each person to trigger coversation.
It will be your group. What do you think? Would you want to advertise the group to encourage new members?
We would also be interested in others experiences of likes and dislikes. Do share your thoughts with us.
Bruv
8 comments:
I like the sound of the format. I was involved in starting a group back in the early summer but it didn't work out, as one person wanted to be the 'leader' and not everyone was comfortable with his style or interpersonal skills.
I'm not sure about advertising as such, but I could probably come up with 3 or 4 in Watchet who'd be interested.
We could always rotate venues rather than have just one person feeling they've got to host the group every week.
Once a fortnight might be a good start. I know I'd find it difficult to commit to a weekly meeting as I'm now often away working. The first 2 or 3 days of the week would be difficult for me due to travel commitments as well.
...but other than that I'm really flexible - Honest!
Thanks Jon,
Sounds good to me. I too would find a weekly meeting a bit too onerous work-wise, as I have often to travel too. And I too would want to avoid the beginning of the week. Namaste will give her own views but I know her early week evening schedule is heavy, so as a jump-off point how does Fridays sound to you guys. I am interested to hear of your 3/4 local people Jon. Can you provide any more detail?
I too am not a lover of leaders, I've done enough leading in the past to be disillusioned of its glamour. As I see it, ego is not a characteristic suited to this type of self-discovering group.
I know Namaste will have some ideas to add when she returns from London today. So let the cauldron bubble!
I have just returned from the big city and couldnt believe the tube rage! I had to open the doors for some children who nearly got squashed.
I am excited by the thought of a local group as I miss the old group I used to belong to in Barnet.
Friday would be best for me. I too would prefer fortnightly. Perhaps we can discuss it in more detail at the Dao night next Friday. The format sounds good and we can see how it goes and vary it if we need to.
I woould like to encourage an informal atmosphere where there is no pressure to 'perform'. I like to contribute but do not like to feel I am being put on the spot.
At my last group, which was initially astrology based, we used various cards, such as Angel cards, to spark discussions.
The idea of having a meditation session will be useful. I am also interested in the idea of sending distant healing, (see my latest Dao post).
I look forward to our get-togethers.
Love
Namaste
This all sounds great - what a perfect step on from the Dao - Dao in the flesh!
I like very much the idea of the opening and the ending, the middle perhaps depends on the subject of discussion and what's going on in all your lives as I expect that will play a big part in your discussions.
I know that we on the Dao are not all 'local', but it would be great if you could put up on the Dao some of your discussion topics so that perhaps distant members of the Dao could get involved by sending their comments which could also be discussed as a part of your group.
In the future, a newsletter, or a web-site might be good to gel all the thoughts and discussions. The newsletter could feature each of you talking about a different area, i.e. Namaste with your tai chi and astrology, Phil and Buddism, spirituality and in time your hypnotism, Jon with your spiritual healing and others with their interests, this could then be used to market the group further afield if you felt you wanted the network to grow and to introduce people to the Dao too! It could also be used to transfuse events taking place in and around Somerset or spiritual places to visit etc.
You could also introduce a reading element into this - from time to time read a chosen book or interesting article and hold an evening discussion about your thoughts on it.
Next week's evening could be the launch - we could all raise a glass and toast the official opening of the Dao Spiritual Group! How exciting.....Much love Swanx
Have you thought of a name for it by the way?
Swan x
Another idea....you could have your meetings in spiritual places - i.e. in Summer out in the open air somewhere or in Spiritual buildings to explore what effect this has on your meetings.
Swan x
Thanks Swan,
I dont know what Namaste and Jon might think, but calling the group The Dao would bring lots of the benefits you mention. It would link into the ready-made Dao website and enable the sharing of information between the meetings and the net and it would be inclusive for those who cannot be there. There is a wealth of good ideas in what you have written. Would Jon and namaste like to comment on this name and on the ideas you put forward such as sharing the info with the web, going to outdoor locations (I am all for a bit of tree-hugging!) and linking with other Somerset events, perhaps a presence at healing events. We could present ourselves as a mutual support group offering unconditional love to thoes who wish it. What do you think guys?
I think this is a great way to generate ideas and Swan, like Gypsy, yet again proves herself an expert at new ways of doing things.
I think the name Dao would be a good idea as it connects us with other members who cannot be present but who could contribute their thoughts as Swan suggests.
Outside locations when the weather is fine would be lovely. I suggest old Cleeve Abbey where there is supposed to be a ghost and Glastonbury Tor would be great. Or just deep in nature on the Quantocks or Exmoor for sheep-hugging would be good. Somerset is one of the richest areas for spiritual sites and we have Stonehenge and Avebury just down the road! What about picnics!
My astrology group rapidly became a mutual support group too.
Love Nam
Post a Comment