Friday, November 10, 2006

Nature's Way talk on Astrology

Last night Namaste and I braved the cold night-mists to go to Roadwater to hear the Astrology talk, following on from our last venture there to see Magic Drums.

Derek Hawkins was a marvellous speaker, full of humour and colour. I have never been that into Astrology, although Namaste is our resident expert, but Derek put it over in such a way as make me think twice about it. He laid out a zodiacal year on the hall floor and moved from sector to sector describing how the planets move through each sign and their various influences. The main part of the evening he spent going through each star sign. He asked members of the audience to say if they were for example Aries and he described their characteristics in a very amusing but insightful way.

He really surprised me when he said "Now we are going to talk about Aquarians, have you all got your stripey jumpers on?" There were 3 Aquarians and each one was wearing a brightly striped jumper! He would not have known which they were beforehand. He also said that Aquarians arrive here saying 'what am I doing on this planet, these people are alien to me' and that Aquarians must learn to accept they think differently from everyone else and always will and then they will be happy. This put us very much in mind of Swan's old boyfriend Simon, who was a very unique type of person.

As he described each sign there were many nods of recognition from the audience and when he did my sign Scorpio, I identified very strongly with what he said and at one point was moved to tears. Being, as he described, a sign that operates in life purely on feelings rather than rational thought. He said that when a Scorpio loves you, he loves you to death. The worst thing, he said, that you can say to a grumpy Scorpio is "Cheer up!" I nodded furiously in recognition of how much I hate that being said to me. Scorpios must be allowed to express their feelings or they can't function properly he said. What he said about each sign rang so true for us when we thought of those we know of each sign.

All in all, I came away feeling I had learnt a lot about the people I know and that there are patterns in our personalities which are consistent. I would be interested to know what you think about Astrology and obviously I am discounting the simplistic newspaper horoscope aspects.

I am sure Namaste is looking up her planetary charts as we speak!

Love
Bruv

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruv,
I've just been reminded that unfortunately I can't make the next friday or two as the Boss has had next weekend booked for a girls trip to London since May and she's arranged to go out the friday after.
But rather than start delaying it week in, week out, I think it would be best to get the group started and I'll join as soon as I can.

Cheers
Jon

Anonymous said...

Fascinating.
Sounds like an interesting evening.

I used to think astrology was utter hogwash in the past.
But then I used to think that about a lot of things!!

Vedic writing talks of 4 distinct personality types and then each one can be modulated by one or more of the others -ending up with between 12 & 16 different personality types.
So why shouldn't it be possible to characterise personalities into 12 signs of the zodiac?

Namaste said...

Derek Hawkins was a very entertaining astrologer. He raised a particular occurrence coming up which it would be worth watching out for. In astrological terms there is an extraordinary event happening in late November/early December when six planets are entering Sagittarius together. This is know as a stellium and is a rare occurrence.
Sagittarius is the sign of travel, transport, politics, law, religion, fundamentalism and optimism. Derek seemed to think this would be an auspiciously positive time, although to us the combination of fundamentalism and transport seemed a bit worrying!
He also said to take extra care when travelling in mid January, mid-May and the beginning of October.

The Nature's Way programme of talks for 2007 has now been published and for those who can get to Roadwater are as follows:
Jan 11 - Past life regression
Feb 8 - Shamanism
Mar 8 - palmistry
Apr 12 - Crystal healing
May 10 - Pagan festivals
June 14 - Herbalism
July 12 - Magic Drum (v good)
Sep 13 - Magic of Owls
Nov 8 - Druidic bard
Even if you dont believe in these things, the talks are always very entertaining and a good way to catch up with friends old and new.
Love and Peace
The Namster

Sue Alouche said...

I would have loved to come to this one, as more and more I see the significance of Astrology with the people I meet and my reaction to them. I can categorise my friends by their star signs, Aries, (my husband included) are always people that I really enjoy being with they are gregarious, always challenge the status quo and are very good soulmates to me. Most of my friends are arians and I don't always realise this - I find out afterwards that they are Arians!
Cancerians are solid, reliable and long-lasting friends. Librans (my star sign) have the balancing effect in my life - remember Namaste when you and rob came over, three librans together, everything was very calm, but making a decision about anything was a long-winded process, but I have to say that you were the most decisive of us three.

I also have a scattering of Virgos ans Taureans but not many.

I remember going on a College Field Trip to Milan in 1997 for one week, I didn't really know anyone that well on my course but I found myself, as you do, swaying towards certain people. By the end of the week, I had formed some very good relationships with people, and near the end of the week we went out for a lovely lunch to end the course in the main square in Milan. We then got onto the subject of star signs - 4 of the people were Arians and there was 1 Cancerian. Spooky heh!

Bruv, now I am beginning to understand your depth of personality more so than ever before - Scorpians have always been a mystery to me, and I would say that this astrologer was spot-on - you are an emotional fellow, a great quality to have.

Best wishes to all you star signs out there
Swan x