
I was inspired by reading Fuchsy's post about reconstructing her family to wonder whether others of you had taken brave decisions in life and whether they had paid off or not.
What was the bravest thing you have done?
Perhaps you confronted a really bad situation or struck out in a completely new direction. Did you take a step into the unknown? Were your courage and willpower tested to the limits?
Your efforts may be inspiring for others, so do share them with us.
Love
Bruv
11 comments:
2 of the bravest things I did was to set up a company in a recession and to move to France.
The first took place in 1990, when what turned out to be a deep recession was just commencing.
I learnt a lot personally from this experience, about people, about the skills needed to run a business and about finances.
Unfortunately I lost who I thought was a dear friend (my business partner) , I also lost a lot of money, as several of our clients went under owing us a lot of money and leaving us financially bereft, but I learnt so much.
The end of this venture was very stressful, and was excacerbated by the lack of support of my business partner, who disappeared into thin air and left me to deal with a very difficult situation.
However, all of this knowledge was invaluable and was used when I became an independent consultant and then ended up running a company with my husband. Which was great fun, we worked on some great projects together, employed some really nice people and worked with some great clients, Fuchsy, was one of them! We also made some good money for a while too!
I do find it very difficult to work for a company, I really prefer working for myself, for the choice of work, my own personal way of working and the freedom that it brings - but it is stressful at times.
Moving to France was a brave decision, but was taken lightly. Whilst I loved the country, the place, the culture and the people I met when I arrived here two and a half years ago, I missed my family and friends greatly.
I have made some new friends here now who are really nice, but they do not share the same history, which can be extremely liberating, but also strange sometimes.
My family I cannot, of course, replace and I miss them dearly, but other than this factor I do not regret the move one bit. I love living here but also like visiting my old home too - England!
Overall I have found it a liberating experience, I have really enjoyed learning a new language, learning new customs and traditions and learning about another culture.
I have somewhat reinvented myself, changed the way I live my life and got out of lots of old habits too.I would recommend it to anyone needing a change in their lives.
Much love to all of you on the Dao x
Hi Bruv,
Great topic as I was visiting Knowing Nantse this weekend and asked these questions of Swan. I was wondering what made her decision to move to France.
Three things come to mind. My decision to admit my daughter into a hospital for an 8 month stay when she was 11 during a time she was severely depressed and suicidal. Since I didn't have insurance coverage for long term mental illness, I hap to put her in a state run facility. Let's just say, I convinced the administrator and doctors to bend the many rules they had for me. I instisted on seeing Ashlie every day, no matter what. ;-)
I think another brave step was quitting my job and open a business the following day. Without any preperation nor any knowledge of how to operate one. But my business is home based with very little overhead. So, that's made it easy.
The other brave step I took was learning how to be true to myself and live my new found beliefs no matter what. I've gone thru some weird times with long-time friends because my thought process has changed. You see, they don't have me in their cirlce to gossip with and my main focus isn't to party til I drop. I'd prefer to stay home and read, meditate or be with my Sophia.
I suppose these things aren't as "brave" as what others have accomplished, but I'm proud of myself and feel so free!!!!!
Next step is to move, far from here I think. But that's for another day! ;-)
Hugs & Kisses,
Lynn xo
Sorry Lynn I have only just seen your comment, thanks for your interest again in Knowing Nantes you are an angel! Well, I will give you some more detail on the reason why we moved here on the Knowing Nantes blog but that will be tomorrow.
I cannot imagine how you must have felt admitting your daughter into a hospital - you are a very brave lady. You knew that that was what was needed and took that great decision and now you can share in the pleasures of having taken that decision. Your daughter is getting married - this week? If so, I hope that everything goes swimmingly and you must put up some photographs! And you also now have your grand angel. A fantastic result from all of this heartache!
Yes, I was pretty clueless too Lynn about setting up in business - I had worked in some great companies so I knew what I aspired to but its very difficult doing it on your own - as you will know. We must talk about work sometime as you are in the design business too!
When you make that big move do you envisage it being in another country?
Have a great day with love Swan x
well girls , lots of business bravery there!..this is why I do the job I do as a business advisor , because I too started my own design businesses without any help or clue ..and wanted others to have help and support ..which is what I love to do !!
Probably the bravest thing I have done was to get out of a bad marriage and stand up for myself !
Little did I know how that would pan out , and it was awful for a time , when my ex tried to take my kids off me !BUT I stood up to him the bully , and had the joy of being sole parent ..but that took courage too...so glad I did though !!
love
Fuchsy xx
Go Girls! You ladies are so impressive and I suspect we have a couple more waiting in the wings with tales to tell.
I have done a few brave things. I set up my own management consultancy in the early 90's without much of a clue and it turned into a roaring success for five years, but the life on the road probably cost me my marriage to old Nammy. But fortunately we have stayed great friends, so all's well that ends well!
I think what is becoming evident from these stories is that life isn't like in the movies! Even our successes are tinged with some regrets and our failures always seem to have a silver lining of important lessons we have learnt.
So my conclusion is dont fear change, but dont think it will be all roses either. We learn and we grow. I would sooner employ someone who'd made a few mistakes and learnt from them than take on someone who hadnt lived enough.
Now then ladies, please join me in a rousing chorus of Gloria Gaynor's "I will survive!"
Love Bruv
Hi everyone!
Swan, I knew I'd hear from you on your site when you could get to it. I envy your courage to pick up and leave. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it. And yes, we should talk sometime about our design businesses. Fuschy & Bruv, I'm sure both of you could give me some huge pointers!!!
Putting Ashlie in the hospital was a horrific scene, literally. That's about the only thing in my life that's like in the movies. Took 4 big men to haul her off by her limbs to a holding room. I'm still sad by this because Ashlie has never sat down to talk with me about it. I desperately want to have this conversation because I think it would be healing for both of us. I suppose at some point, she will feel open enough to do this with me. I have never typed this paragraph before. I suppose another brave step! ;-)
The thought of leaving the USA feels so good to me. A feeling from this life or a past life? I often wonder about this. And as you know, France is one of my favorite places.
Bruv, you can't imagine how many times I've sung that exact song when friends & I are getting over a break-up with some undeserving man! ;-) Thanks for the reminder!!!
All love for the 3 of you,
Lynn xo
Dear Fuschy,
Kudos to you! Leaving a bad marriage with children takes a huge amount of courage. I saw what my sister went thru when she left her husband with the 2 girls. And the torment she endured regarding his abusive language with her until she passed away 2 years ago.
I left my husband but was so excited about getting rid of him, I never worried about anything, much less him taking enough interest in getting custoday of Ashlie. But in time, we both matured and we made peace between us.
Love,
Lynn xo
Hi Lynn,
Just a thought that you prompted in me when you spoke of past lives calling you away from the US.
When Nammy and I first visited Athens I felt so at home. One day we were walking for the first time in the Plaka (the restaurant district beneath the Acropolis hill) and I said 'I know what is around this corner. I have been here before.' And sure enough we turned the corner and it was exactly as I had pictured it. Boy was it a spooky feeling!
And since that first trip I have such an affinity with Greece. I study their history and it just feels so right to me. I also study Greek cookery and am never so content as when I am eating a Greek meal. Namaste will swear to the deliciousness of my Greek Roast Chicken recipe.
Our local Tesco have just introduced a range of Greek specialities so I am tucking into stuffed vine leaves, green beans in oil and baklava cakes these days.
The major place that really resonated with me is the Oracle at Delphi. I went there with Sue Jensen and was again overwhelmed by the feeling of deja vu. I had to sit down for an hour and let it soak in to me. The Oracle belongs to the god Apollo. I have a bust of Apollo in my kitchen and he watches over me. For you see in some strange way the Greek Gods really mean something to me. And I cannot help but think this is all due to a past life experience there.
Do any of you have a similar feel for a place or country in this way? Do share.
Love Bruv
Hi All,
I am inspired by all your stories of courage in the face of adversity.
When Bruv and I were going through a bad time and were living separate lives, as he was on the road. I decided to go for a holiday to Turkey on my own. My friend Gypsy and her family arranged to see me out there for the first day. They introduced me to a young Turk called Hasan who worked in one of the many restaurants in Bodrum. After going alone on a lovely boat trip I was walking down the main street of restaurants I was enticed into a restaurant which happened to be the one Hasan worked in. He joined me for a meal and we were inseparable for the rest of the week. He didnt want me to go home and drank himself into a frightening state of severe alcoholic poisoning. A doctor had to be called. I had to leave for my plane before I knew whether he had lived or died. After that I went back 3 or 4 times a year for 2 years. I was besotted with Hasan. If you have seen the film Shirley Valentine then that was me! I felt such an affinity with Turkey and its people. I even took Turkish language classes. Like Bruv says about Greece, I am sure I had a past life in Turkey. But all good things come to an end and we parted and I was left broken hearted. He was so handsome and full of life but he had a dark side to his character which wasnt apparent at first. This was his extreme jealousy.
I have made a few brave moves but they are largely to do with relationships rather than business.
I feel now that, like Lynn, I am finally having a relationship with myself rather than putting everyone else first as I had done for years. I feel much more independent now and happier with myself.
I like the way we can talk about these things on the Dao.
Love Nam and chips
....And I love all of your names, Namaste, I can't hear enough of them! ;-) Your humor tells me so much about you. Can't wait to meet all of you face-to-face one day.
Bruv, I'm hooked on lebna and kibby (sp?). I've never been to Greece or Turkey, but have spent a fair amount of visits to France (mostly Paris). I had a trip to Greece planned just before 9/11, but cancelled due to the war.
I suppose I'm not brave enough to leave my small family yet. But the pull is so strong that it leaves me feeling sort of homeless, if that makes sense. Since I sold my house, I've been renting a condo for 2 yrs. I can't commit to buying something here.
I have traveled out of the country solo as well, Nam Samwich. And I love it! I suppose that's cuz I love my own company. ;-) ANd I get this strong feeling at times that my future "love" is not here.
Oh well, so much to look forward to!
Love,
Louisiana Lynn xo
It is so great to read every ones story...I am blessed to be part of your lives through it , and yes i've had this deja vue with both people and places...I'm sure that I have known people before ...even Sam my son , seemed so familiar when he was born ...my duaghter didn't feel the same , but we are really close all the same.
Every time I go to italy i feel at home , including every thing italian ..my grandmother yolanda was italian , but this is much deeper !!.isn't it fascinating !!
love fuchsy xx
Post a Comment