Friday, January 26, 2007

Heaven must be missing an angel


(Posted on behalf of Ciariad)


Dear Friends. I cam across a story on the web that I found inspirational and would like to share with you all.

Your Inner Voice by Bob Eilers

My day started just like all the other days for the past 15 years where I get up, make some coffee, shower, get dressed and leave for the train station at preciously 7:35 A.M. to arrive at work by 8:30. While on the train I would always choose a seat away from the crowd so I can read the newspaper in peace and quiet. At work I am always being bombarded with questions from coworkers, suppliers, telephone and then those dreaded meetings so the last thing I need is some stranger to sit beside me and make small talk. I don’t know why but for some reason when I got on the train today it was unusually full, something I don’t recall ever happening in the past. With hesitation I sat down in the only seat available beside a middle aged man that had his head down and seemed to be lost in his thoughts. I was glad that he didn’t notice when I sat next to him as he just continued to look down towards the floor.

Shortly after the train left for my 30 minute ride downtown I found myself wondering what this man was thinking about. What could be so important that he didn’t even see me sit next to him? I tried to forget about it and started to read my paper. However, for some strange reason this “inner voice” kept prompting me to talk to this man. I tried to ignore the “voice” as there was no way I was starting a conversation with a complete stranger.

As you probably guessed I eventually broke down and came up with an excuse to ask him a question. When he raised his head and turned his eyes towards me I could see that he must have been really upset as he had red eyes and still had some tears rolling down the side of his face despite his feeble attempt to wipe them away. I can’t describe the sadness I felt seeing someone in so much pain. We talked for about 20 minutes and in the end he seemed to be doing better. As we were leaving the train he thanked me profusely for being an angel by taking the time to talk. I never did find out what was making his heart so heavy with pain but was glad I listened to the “voice” that day.

Several weeks had passed when I noticed an envelope on my desk after returning from lunch. It was not addressed to anyone and only had the word “Angel” written on it. My receptionist attached a note saying a gentleman dropped it off saying he did not know my name but had described me well enough that the receptionist knew it was for me. When I read the note inside the envelope I was so filled with emotions that I couldn’t contain myself. It was a letter from the man I met on the train thanking me again for talking to him and saving his life that day.

Apparently he had some very hurtful personal problems that were so overwhelming he was planning to take his life that day. In his letter he went on to explain that he was a religious person and in desperation screamed out to God that if God really cared about him he would send someone to prevent him from taking his life. In his eyes I was that someone, that Angel sent by God.

Not being a religious person myself I don’t know what that “voice” was that made me take a chance and talk to a stranger but I do know that it made a difference in someone’s life that day. So the next time you feel prompted for no apparent reason to talk to a friend, relative, neighbor or even a complete stranger please remember my story. You just may make a difference in someone’s life when you listen to your inner voice.

So my Dao friends - have you been an unwitting "Angel"?

I think I may have been. I was involved in helping to save an attempted suicide 2 years ago. Whilst taking a break from work on a Saturday, I walked along the river bank, it was sunny and pleasant, when I saw a young man in deep distress balancing on the edge of the bridge. I called out to him not to jump - but was too late and h e jumped, but surfaced not far from me. I kept talking to him and dialled emergency services. I helped him out of the water and put my jacket around him, still talking (believe me I could talk as an Olympic sport).

By the time the ambulance arrived the young man was crying, but had opened up enough to share with me his great shame and distress - he had fallen into using drugs and was sure his Mum had now given up on him - he didn't want to bring any more shame to his family and thought the only way out was to leave this world. I hope I showed him more options were there - and leaving this world would just break his Mums' heart further.

I have often thought - if I hadn't worked that Saturday, or been drawn to walk by the river by the sunshine, this poor young man would not have been with us today.

Love and Peace

Ciariad.

6 comments:

Bruv said...

Dear Ciariad,

I found these stories very moving and inspiring. Although I have never saved anyone's lifeas far as I know, I am a great believer in listening to that 'inner voice'. I have often experienced charging headlong into something only to hear that small calm voice saying 'Think again'. it is usually where I am about to unwittingly hurt someone's feelings. So perhaps that voice is an extension of my conscience, who knows.
Thanks for this one Ciariad.
Love
Bruv

fuchsy said...

yes ciariad what a wonderful story ..I am learning to listen to the still small voice, it is amazing how when we are in tune ...we can affect things for others

i know others have been sent to me in this way at extreme times, and I know that learning to listen and trust has been a priviledge for me ...
I was able to help my dear friend Zoe go towards her premature death 2 years ago , by really asking God , spirt etc to give me the words and actions that we help her, and so often when I was still enough I was spot on .

love to all
fuchsy xxxx

lynn said...

Thank you Ciariad for sharing these moving stories with us. Just yesterday I was in Whole Food Store with Sophia. We were tasting all of the cheeses they had out to try. And this lady walk up to us and my buggy bumped hers. I apologized and she said never to worry about the small stuff. Life is too short. Then she told me that just that morning a family member died of cancer. We stood in the store hugging each other and Sophia got a little sad thinking about her Aunt Leslie. So this precious lady started talking about the parties that people have in heaven with Jesus and how she's going to wear a party dress when she passes over. I mentioned I'd be wearing some bright red lipstick for the event. It was such a sweet exchange of words. And Sophia was left with beautiful thoughts of a life that never ends.

I know this isn't the same as your experience, but it made me think of yesterday.

I don't believe I've saved anyone's life, but I'm sure we are all Angels, here to help each other through this chosen life of ours. We can truly look at another an rather than judge, step back and remember we are all a part of the One, the Whole. Love another and embrace the differences between us. Differences, not seperation.

This story of yours has lifted me this morning. Thank you Ciariad!

Love always,
Lynn xo

Namaste said...

Hi all,

These are moving stories. I havent saved anyones life but I have been what Lynn describes as a listening ear to help others with their problems. My friends see me as compassionate and non-judgemental and I think this is important in letting people confide in you, knowing that you are not going to lecture them on their shortcomings.
I would like to think that if I saw someone in trouble that I would dive in instinctively.

Love

The Namster

Sue Alouche said...

Wow Ciariad, if you do nothing else in your life you can say that you did one big thing to help save someone's life. What an amazing story. You do not talk about your own feelings but I expect you thought about this for a long time afterwards - how did it effect you?

The first story really meant something to me as I had a similar experience on the Circle line in London last September.

I was sitting on an underground train on the circle line in London which is a notoriously bad line - always stopping, always delays etc.

I was reading my newspaper and the carriage was half-empty. There was a VERY agitated man sitting opposite me - he hept reading his paper, then stopping, looking up at the map of the circle line, sighing big sighs and generally looking stressed out. He was very smartly dressed in a suit and looked like he was on his way to a meeting or something business-related.

Then the train stopped in a tunnel. By this time the train had filled up a bit more and there was someone standing in front of me blocking my view of the man opposite.

Well the man seated started pushing away the man standing in front of him saying that he was leaning over him. Then he started swearing and getting really stressed out. By this time the man in front had moved away from him and I had my view back.

He started staring over at me and cursing that the train had stopped. I just said I am sure it will start up again soon. He was really sweating by this time and I thought perhaps that he might have a phobia of enclosed spaces so I asked if he would like me to open the window. A few people had moved away from him by this stage.

Then he broke down crying and I asked him what was wrong. He was sobbing and sobbing and kept saying "why today" I then asked him what was wrong and he stopped crying and started talking to me normally. He explained that his wife was dying of cancer and he had to get to the hospital - he was frightened she would go if he didn't get there.

I just kept talking to him and others in the carriage then started taking an interest and looking over at us.

He told me about his 2 children and his family life over the course of the next 5 minutes or so.

The train eventually started again and he seemed so relieved.

By this time I had moved over next to him and he was telling me all about his wife, he kept talking about her eyes, this is what he had fallen in love with - her beautiful eyes - he told me that even though her body was not the same now due to the cancer she still had those beautiful eyes. Then he had to get off the train and he shook my hand and thanked me for talking to him. He then got up and apologised to all the others close-by.

What this showed me was that we have no idea what people are going through in their everyday lives, so I never judge a book by its cover. I always think about this now and have learnt a big lesson from it.

Thanks for making me remember this story. It stayed with me for a long while.

Love to all of you Swanxx

lynn said...

Hi Swan and Ciariad,

I am so moved by this posting, Ciariad. My spiritual belief system tells me these events happened to us all so we can learn from them. Every act we are aware of is an act for us to learn from. Even if it's just a story we read about in the newspaper or here on the Dao site.

Swan, it isn't often that I have approached a verbally angry person that I didn't know already. This experience must have made you float for the rest of the day. I know I would be feeling very good about helping to calm someone like this.

Ciariad, you are an angel, put in the right place at the right time. I can't imagine what it would feel like to save someone's life the way you did. I thank God for people like you.

All love,
Lynn xo