Monday, February 26, 2007

Reinventing religion



I got up very early this morning, couldn't sleep, and read the newspaper from cover to cover, unheard of these days!
One of the articles I read was about the population of British nuns being on the verge of extinction. There are only around 1100 nuns in the UK today and only 13 applied in 2005.

What I didn't realise was that the modern day nun works in all sorts of situations, and 3 branched out in 2004 to form their own religious order, the Community of Our Lady of Walsingham, and they now run a retreat house in Essex. Its for people of all faiths to have time to be quiet and reflect. They wanted to respond to the needs of today and so they have also changed their habit. They wear one made out of denim with a hood instead of a veil, which allows them to withdraw for prayer. They also felt that people saw the veil as too much of a barrier (interesting given the debate on the muslim veil).

The Walsingham sister's day consists of 2 hours prayers in the morning and the evening, they take their meals together, but they also have a 'chill out' hour, and on Mondays they take the day off, where they can wear whatever they want, and go and do whatever they want.

They felt that the traditional nun's life was too much about being a group and not an individual, they respect more the needs of the individual, but they still believe in the power of prayer and christian witness.

I thought this was quite a refreshing approach to modern day life.
Living in a catholic country, and having spoken to a few people at length about their religion, I can feel that they feel the need for the church to reinvent itself to appeal to and to assist people in their modern-day lives.

I give english classes to our receptionist at work, and last week we had a really interesting, but quite upsetting conversation about the hold the catholic church and her mother's strict catholic upbringing has had and still has on her. Her life is full of guilt, she prays every night for forgiveness and she feels trapped, unable to live the life she would like to, due to the hold her religion has over her.

I read another article the other day about the need for the muslim religion to reinvent itself in order to be more relevant to the Western society where many of muslims choose to live?

What do you think?

Swanx

5 comments:

Bruv said...

Bruv said...
Great post Swan. I love the trendy nun!
Nuns and monks are much more a catholic tradition than anglican. I wanted to be a monk ever since I was a teenager, but I cannot see it happening now, the emotional bonds I have made with people may be too strong to break. But had my life been less full of love I would have seriously considered it. Perhaps when I am older...

Having lived with buddhist monks on retreat, I know that they are very open to the modern world in their thinking and conversation. And perhaps Buddhism is more 'trendy' than christianity, but there seemed no shortage of people, often young, who came to experience their monastic life. People are looking for something these days and perhaps christian monks and nuns are less approachable, although they are of course lovely people for the most part. The recent series on TV on The Monastery and The Convent may help. Tonight (i think) is starting a new series called The Retreat, which looks at an islamic retreat and will be worth a watch.

Love Bruv

lynn said...

Oh, I so hesitate to say anything about the church in fear I will offend someone here. Please understand this is just my belief due to how I see what organized religion has created around me.

In most situations, I see the church as a crutch for those who are afraid to think on their own. Most prefer to be told what to feel, what to think, what days to praise God... The catholic church does not help strengthen it's parishoners to become true leaders in their communities and to teach our children not to fear God. To me, they take the wrong approach.

I also find it refreshing that many are loosening up a bit and showing a little self-expression. I believe abundance is our birth-right if we want it, but I also know many believe going without will strengthen their vows. I can appreciate that as well.

What I find MOST beneficial to organized religions is the Pope's recent comment that all religions need to come together and respect each other. Or something like that.

With love,
Lynn xo

Sue Alouche said...

Lynn, do you mean that the pope actually said something constructive? : )

lynn said...

Dear Swan,

I "think" that's what he said!
!!!!!!!!!
Lynn xo

Bruv said...

Hi All,
I watched The Retreat last night which was about an islamic retreat in Spain. I must say that while some of it resonated with my I found a lot of it very alien to my own spiritual practices. There was a lot of emphasis in segregating men and women and I noted that the women were placed at the back of the hall of worship. But one thing that did connect was a young man obsessed by his mobile phone and computer. He skipped the prayers to climb up the minaret to find a better signal for his phone! He was completely flabberghasted when it was suggested that he sit alone for an hour in contemplation. 'Why on earth would anyone do that, time is money.' he cried. Well I did it on the way to work this morning, an hour and a half in the car with no music or radio. Something I havent done for a while. And the thoughts and solutions to problems that came to me were fantastic. Just letting my mind work things out for itself in silence. I used to do this a lot and had let it lapse. I recommend it to you.

Love Bruv