

Here is another of Antony's works that is changing a community, Crosby, for the better. It is called Another Place and consists of a hundred life-sized bronze figures staring out to sea. The figures are submerged as the tide comes in and they find themselves in another place.

Antony has a new exhibition on at the Hayward Gallery, called Blind Light, which I wish I could get to. In one of the exhibits, he creates a cloud in a large box and people are free to enter the cloud and wander around in it. It is on until August 2007. As well as his being a Buddhist, I admire him because he has used his art to revitalise depressed areas of the country.
Love Bruv
6 comments:
Dear Bruv,
Gormley's work gives me chills. It is so incredibly beautiful to me. Another Place brings tears to my eyes. He is showing some of his work in NYC, but not sure if he's showing any place else in the USA. I'll make it a point to see the exhibit next time I'm there. Hope you get a chance to see the exhibit.
Sending love, Lynn xo
So funny that you put this up Bruv, as I had an email from a friend Paul a last week to see that he had just been to see this exhibition and had really enjoyed it.
I too, love this sculpture and the bronze sculptures in the sea are stunning, I haven't seen those before.
Nice to see you back again on the Dao Lynn, tell us all about the move...Much love to all Swanxxx
Hi Swan,
Perhaps you can link Paul to the Dao and he can share his thoughts on the current exhibition. I have seen some on TV and it looks amazing. I particularly like the life-sized figures he has put on top of prominent buildings in the area. Many people have rung in saying they've seen someone on a roof about to jump!
i am also reading good reviews of the latest Damien Hirst exhibition, the one with the diamond encrusted skull. I used to think he was gimmicky until I went to see his exhibition and realised that some of his stuff is incredibly profound. He actually lives down my way at Combe Martin. I am surpirsed he hasnt popped in to see me lately ;-)
Love Bruv
I love Gormley's stuff. I still haven't seen the Angel of the North, but, as a sort of ex-temporary Geordie from student days, I find this concept a delight. And his other work gets inside my head too.
My son Sam went to school with Anthony Gormleys Daughter, and theywhere in the same art group at Camden school 6th form. He had the priviledge to spent quite a few evenings in the sculptors sudio , that stretches accross 2 attics of huge houses in Camden .
What was so nice for sam , was that this wonderful artist, spent time with teenagers , getting their veiw about art , and their responses to his work , and making constructive critism on theri A level work . Nice to know that amongst the brilliance is true humanity.
Hi Anonymous,
Nice to see you here. I too really like not only Gormley's art but his approach to life, as typified in Fuchsy's story about her son. I have read several interviews with Gormley, I am drawn to call him Antony, and he embodies the buddhist characteristic of balancing wisdom with compassion for others. I would be interested for us to share thoughts on which other artists we like and why.
Love Bruv
Post a Comment