Wednesday, July 28, 2010

He was my North, my South, my East and West


I was watching 4 weddings and a Funeral tonight with Louis and I realised that I had wanted to find out more about this poem the last time I saw the film.

The poem is by W. H. Auden. Like many of his other works, it is known by
its first line, "Stop All the Clocks".

This is the section that I think is so lovely...

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Do you have any favourite poems, expressions or lyrics to share?

1 comment:

Bruv said...

I have probably mentioned this one before but my favourite poem is the one a Zen master composed on his deathbed:
"i came from brilliancy
And I return to brilliancy."

I hope that we all return to brilliancy at the right time.

xx