Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sleep!


image courtesey of the illusions gallery.

I have put up this post about sleep, one, because I am really having trouble going to bed these days, seriously, I am staying up so late, not wanting to go to bed. And the other is that I have read so many articles about the benefits of a good night's sleep - therefore I should be taking heed!! But every night, I have good intentions and then I get on the computer, or start reading a book (Bruv can't put down The Monk Who Sold his Ferrari at the moment), or I start doing something else and then its 1.00 - 2.00am again.

It's not doing me any good I know, but it's like I really need to have time on my own when the kids are in bed and its my time and I don't want it to stop. I am not so tetchy the next day 'I don't think ;-)' as I think my body has become used to it, or maybe its that I just don't need as much sleep as I used to. I get up at 7.45, so I am still getting 6-7 hours.

Bruv, I know that you have also put up here recently that you need a good sleep to have REM, the mags are all talking about lack of sleep causing over-eating, lack of confidence, lack of ability to function properly etc.

Manny moves back to Nantes at the end of this week, so then perhaps with someone else around my patterns will change, I won't feel the need to have to do my own thing until late into the night. What are all of your sleeping patterns? Any suggestions to encourage me to get to bed early? Getting a good night's sleep? Waiting for the hypnosis tape too that sounds like it could be a reason to go to bed earlier! I do not have any problem in going to sleep once in bed, it's just getting there that's difficult...
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz oh no! It's too early wake-up!! Swan x

4 comments:

Bruv said...

Hi Swan,

I too am in a similar sleep pattern. Bed by about one-two am and up around 6.30-7 am. However i find that I do need less sleep these days and can get by as long as I have the occasional day going to bed at 9pm to catch up. So are you actually suffering from lack of sleep or are you just in a changed sleep pattern?

If you really have trouble getting to sleep you can try the following:
1. Lie in bed, starting from the top of your head, work your way down the body relaxing each set of muscles. (This bit is on the cd)

2. Then, once you are relaxed, focus on your breathing by counting each inbreath and outbreath and feeling the sensation as the air enters and leaves the nostrils. You can count to ten and then repeat but I prefer to count to 100. You will find this difficult at first if you can stick with it it will take you to a state of calmness after which you will just fall asleep beautifully. If you lose count, which you certainly will, just start from the last number you got to. This is natural so dont be disheartened if you lose count.

If i may give a tip, the best way to count your breath is to exclude all other thoughts by either repeating the number, e.g. one one one one, or extending it , e.g. oooooooone, for the length of the breath. It is this exclusion of all other thoughts that will calm your mind.

When you can get up to around 300-400 staying totally focussed on the breath, then you may experience altered states of consciousness that you have never known before. I won't dwell on these here, as they differ for different people. They again are perfectly natural and you need not be frightened by them but just carry on with the counting.

I hope this helps.

Love bruv

Bruv said...

Sorry Swan, i just re-read and see that you dont have trouble getting to sleep so just ignore my earlier advice. Perhaps someone else can use it!

I stopped worrying about my new sleep pattern and just accepted that it has changed. If its not causing you a problem why worry.

Love Bruv

lynn said...

Hi Swan!
Well, you've met your match on the sleeping situation. The first thought that came to me is that when Manny returns home, perhaps you'll find yourself in bed much earlier? ;-) That sounds like a much more fun way to end the evening!!!!

All I know is that sleep is very very important. It rejuvinates our soul, fires up our connection to Source Energy, makes us alert and less irritable. I can fall asleep, I just can't stay asleep. And I get cranky when I don't have enough sleep!!!!

Is it possible to get into the habit of putting on some meditation tapes, lie in bed and just try to relax and an earlier hour? I know that works for me.

Swan, I know this problem you're having. Maybe when we recieve Bruv's cd we'll look forward to breaking the old habit by listening to them in bed prior to sleep.

Nighty-nite,
Lynn xo

Sue Alouche said...

Thanks for your thoughts and Lynn, yes you are right there'll be more time for other methods of relaxation ;-)))), and thanks for the relaxation techniques Bruv cos these might also come in handy sometime.

You know it was really strange, I put up this post last night and it almost prompted me to go to bed earlier, so then I had time to read my book without the guilt of it being very late! ;-)

The first page I looked at was about us having to find our life's work, our passion in life, for our real energy and enthusiasm to return to our lives, and in turn, our happiness.

The next paragraph then said, "do you know why you sleep so much" in response to someone's previous question, "Why?" "Because you don't have anything else to do". This really struck home with me and this post.

I am really enjoying my life, I am feeling very energised about my life, my work and my creativity at the moment, (just wish my body was!) and I realised that that is why I don't want to go to bed, there are so many other things that I want to do instead!

A Happy Thursday to you both Swan xx